Fish farming in land based Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS) is growing both for salmon farming and other fish species.
• The fish farms faces some environmental challenges among those are:
• 1000 tons of feed creates some 3000m3 of fish waste (sludge residues). New regulations forces the industry to take care of the sludge. A typical smolt farm creates some 6000m3 of sludge yearly.
• Fish mortalities create another waste problem
• Global shrimp farming amounts to some 5M ton / year. In addition wild caught shrimp is about 4M ton per year
• Much of the shrimp peel is to day a waste product